Take Your Child to Work Day Activities
by Teri & Megan Murray
At the beginning of the day:
- Discuss what you do and talk to your child about what they think you do at work. Have them create a story or draw a picture to illustrate.
- Share with your child what they will be doing at work with you throughout the day.
- Have your child create a collage (use magazines and art supplies) to showcase what they would like to be when they grow up. Talk about what they enjoy doing and how these skills could be applied to a future career.
When you go to work…
- Make sure to introduce your child to your coworkers. Share titles and responsibilities with your child to help them understand what each person does.
- Be creative – when emailing or doing other tedious tasks – give children problems to think about and solve, drawing pictures or writing out answers.
- Allow them to help out whenever possible. Simple clerical tasks, watering plants, restocking supplies are easy and very helpful activities.
- Have kids use the interview sheet below to learn more about what you do to make the most of the day.
- Have fun and enjoy allowing your child a sneak peak into your world J
And finally at the end of the day…
- Have your child come home and tell the rest of your family what they did today.
- Make sure it was fun for them if so maybe you could do another, bring your child to work, over the summer.
Name of Person being interviewed: ___________________________________
Job Title of Person being interviewed: _________________________________
What do you do in a typical day or week in your job?
What do you like most about your job?
What don’t you like about your job?
What other jobs have you had?
When you were my age did you know what job you wanted?
How did you decide on your career?
If I wanted to get your job when I was older what should I do to prepare myself?